Monday, October 8, 2007

Day 17 – Berthoud/Longmont, Colorado


Tomorrow the last phase of this trip begins. As I said yesterday, I’m going up through South Dakota and Minnesota on the return trip. It adds about 300 miles to the trip, but what’s another three hundred miles? Since I have been to Mt. Rushmore once about twenty years ago, I will be looking for a way to make this visit different. I’m expecting the same four guys to be carved in stone. I believe I-90 also goes by the monument to Crazy Horse (or is it Sitting Bull?) and that should be quite different than it was back then – which was a big chunk of rock that didn’t look like anything.

Today’s high temperature was about 30 degrees less than yesterday but it was sunny and excellent golfing weather. Both Jerry and I played much better and even though he beat me there was no more than one stroke difference in our scores on any hole. He was pissed because he wanted to break forty, but he still won five bucks from me. When we left the course, I did the unthinkable AGAIN. Yes, I left my car keys in my jacket in the cart at the course. Thankfully I thought of it when we were just a short way from the course, so we went back and there they were. I wonder if anyone should be so absent minded as to leave their car keys in a public place twice on one road trip and also be lucky enough to get them back both times?

We went out to eat at Rock Bottom Brewery and Lindsay waited on us. We had good food and excellent service and I felt stuffed for the first time in two and a half weeks. By the way, I haven’t lost twenty pounds since I left home. Maybe six.

No stranger encounters today – of course the picnic yesterday was at least two days worth of stranger encounters for me. On the trip home I did to increase my interaction with strangers or I won’t have a thing to write about. Once I get on I-90 in Rapid City, I don’t get off of it for 890 miles. That’s a lot of nothing to try to write about.

1 comment:

Annie said...

You should either stop in Deadwood, South Dakota and say "cocksucker" and "cunt" just like the HBO show or stop in and be thoroughly depressed at the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site:
Address: Hwy 240 Badlands Loop, Ellsworth AFB, SD [Show Map]
Directions: Park HQ is on south side of Exit 131 off I-90, beside the BP gas station. Launch Control Facility Delta-01 is 4 mile west of headquarters. Launch Facility Delta-09 (missile silo) is south of I-90 just off exit 116, approximately 15 miles west of park headquarters.

or you could just stop and see the gigantic cement prairie dog off of I90 at exit 131.

God speed.