Thursday, September 27, 2007

Day 7 -- ID, UT

Scene of the "Tubby" incident.

Day 7 -- St. George, Utah. A small picturesque Mormon community that is Utah's southernmost city. Winter home of Utah's most famous, and first, snow bunny. Brigham Young himself. Why is there a huge D on the side of the mountain in St. George? If you know this, you're scaring me. I did the walking tour of downtown including the sparsely attended street fair on Main Street. After a good walk I was hungry and tired so I went to the first place that looked passable -- oh, if I had only walked 50 more feet! An aside: When Kathy (Mrs. B II) and I moved to Columbus, Chris was helping us move. At lunchtime I set out to find lunch. Having no clue what was around I started driving and went through several major intersections and saw nothing. At the next light I saw a White Castle. Ugh! But what if there's nothing else for miles? So did I buy a bag full of greasy sliders -- White Castle renowned trademark "sandwich"? No, no. I bought regular size burgers and fries. Purely awful and to this day I have never eaten at White Castle. What does this have to do with St. George? Well if I had driven to the next intersection there were many places to eat. -- So tonight I stoped short again and went into the Pizza Factory, eschewing the Pasta Factory next door. I was seated next to the kitchen so I asked to be moved. The young lady took me up a half flight of stairs and I sat down. I noticed children screaming. In my haze I said this was fine and eventually turned around to see that I was alone with a birthday party for a five year old and several other large parties. I did a quick polygamist check and there seemed to be four mothers and four fathers at the bd party. My waitress was sweet -- I charmed her of course -- and the meal was fine. On the way out I noticed a lovely patio with all adults at the Pasta Factory!

I was walking back to the motel and a couple on the corner kept saying something to me. When I got close the guy said "O-H" three times. What the hell? He said "You're supposed to say "I-O". You see I was wearing my block O hat and they spotted it down the street. They were from Columbus. Chalk up two more stangers met. -- My other conversation with a stranger today was at a rest stop where a normal looking guy tried to bum money from me! I declined.

Today I drove from Pocatello to St. George, almost 500 miles. I skipped Bryce Canyon but I am going to Zion Nat'l Park tomorrow. Then on to Vegas! It was 47F when I left Pocatello and 88F when I got to St. George. It is really, really nice here.

I passed though SLC and Provo which brought to mind another Jim dumb-shit move. My team at ProQuest had bought a company in Provo (genealogy of course) and three female colleagues and I flew into SLC to drive to Provo and introduce ourselves to our new employees. For whatever reason, the three women rode together in a gray Ford Escape and I drove alone in some kind on Monster truck, an Excursion I think. I guess they had ridden with me before. I said I wasn't 100% sure of the directions, so I would follow them. As we left the airport, I was multi-tasking (Probably why I was riding alone.) and when I looked up there were two identical gray Ford Escapes in front of me. No problem. They have to be in the one closest to me. So I continued to fart around with the satellite radio and change lanes to stay behind them. The changed lanes a lot I thought. As we approached an exit, without signaling they swerved off to the exit. I thought, "What the hell are they doing? Stopping to eat?" They turned in the opposite direction of the restaurants that I could see. "What is this?" They turned into a trailer park. Now I am baffled. Do they have "kin" here? They pull into a driveway and stop the car and sit still. Finally, the light bulb goes on for Jimmy Boy and I realize what you figured out long ago -- I followed the wrong car! They thought I was stalking them! I sheepishly drove off laughing my ass off at my own absentmindedness.

I leave you with this. My kids and friends know I am a grammar and syntax snob even though mine is not so great. I go nuclear over: "May I help who's next in line?" (This is wrong for so many reasons and I can't enumerate them.); "That'll be $3.79 at the first window?" (How much is it at the second window?); and "I'll be your lead flight attendant." (Who's our lead flight attendant right now?) Today I heard this gem: "If you're self-employed or an individual . . ." Hmm. I guess some of us aren't individuals.

The D stands for Dixie. As in "I wish I were in the land of cotton."

3 comments:

EB said...

The "D" stands for Dixie....

Dixie is the nickname for southwestern Utah. It was first settled in the early 1860s, when farmers were sent south by Brigham Young to grow cotton, hoping to capitalize on the lack of availability of cotton due to the American Civil War. Thus the name Dixie, to honor the attempt to grow cotton, and its association with the Dixie in the southeastern United States.

fatima muldowney said...

I don't know what to tell you.... but to see this side of you the funny guy is so new for me!!!! well, just keep it up, I am so enjoying it...

Marmie said...

I believe you and Brigham Young have more in common than you realize.

I'm glad to see that others find your White Man ways and anecdotes amusing.

That Erin is a very smart young lady. Watch out for that youngun.

I'm hanging with my posse on Cheney's ranch. Vegas is not of interest for a cowgirl like me. I prefer the local saloons and I am presently sharing shots with Wild Bill's great great grandson. A most handsome man. If you will excuse me, I am off for a spin on the floor and more.