Saturday, September 22, 2007

On the Road 2007

Finally, THE ROAD TRIP! Every bad day of my corporate career, I fantasized about just getting in my car and heading west. When I got to a bar in Jackson Hole, I would call my office and say I’m never coming back. Well I made it to Jackson Hole, not by car but via commercial jet. -- Can you imagine a town of 7,000 people with a full service airport! Thank you, Mister Vice President. – So why not go now? I’ve got the time. I’ve got the inclination. I’ve got the right car. What else could a man need . . .
My tentative route is to go from southeast Michigan around Chicago; up through Wisconsin to Bloomington, Minnesota/Mall of America. Then across Minnesota trough Fargo to Bismarck, N.D.; Then across N.D. into Montana to Billings; down through Idaho Falls to Salt Lake City to Las Vegas then to Los Angeles. Coming back I’ll go up though Vegas to Denver and then home. About 5100 miles!

Day 1 – I decided my rules are: 1) relax; and 2) no French Fries. That’s it. Didn’t mean to drive 620 miles the first day, but I did. Missed a turn above O’Hare and went the long way from there to Madison, Wisconsin but no sweat. Drove through the Wisconsin Dells – if I only knew what the hell the Wisconsin Dells were! What the hell does Farmer in the Dell mean while I’m at it.
Saw some lovely orange barrels and very little else but it was an excellent day. Love to drive that little beemer.
I finished listening to The Moonshine War which Elmore Leonard wrote in 1969. That man has a wonderful ear for dialog and fantastic characters. Always has a strong silent hero who’s a man’s man.
Stick with me; it'll get better tomorrow.

4 comments:

Robert Barcelona said...

i must be from the milk man because you are not my father

Unknown said...

You can write ! What a gift ! I look foreward to the daily account.

Emily Barcelona said...

rob - you're so nice.

Brooke said...

Glad you're having fun, despite your little "adventures." The pictures are great!