Saturday, September 22, 2007

Day 2

Day 2 – Rule 3 – “They have stores.” Funny thing about traveling is no matter what you forget you can buy it on the road. Yesterday while strolling around a rest area to get some exercise, I cursed myself for not bringing my pedometer. If I had it I could make sure I walk at least 3000-4000 steps per day. Although not the 10,000 steps that is popular target these days, it is better than sitting all day. Then I realized Rule 3 – I can buy one. After all, where the hell am I stopping today? – Mall of America. Think they might have one?
Duh! So while on my way to the Mall of America – just sounds grotesque doesn’t it? – I notice some gorgeous dairy farms and such along the Wisconsin byway. So like a good little I-don’t-have-to-stay-on-the-interstate kind of guy I am, I pull off and look for a good photo opportunity. The countryside is beautiful; the weather is perfect. What could go wrong? Nothing much so far. Well, my digital camera was making a funny sound and it was so bright I couldn’t read the viewer. But something is not working. So, I move on. I passed a wonderful sight – a nice red barn the said "Top Shelf Genetics" across the barn door. Hmm. Wonder what bottom shelf genetics produce?
At last the Mall of America. What a perfect match for my shopping addiction. Not so fast! Once I got inside, I went up to the third level (of four) and bought a pedometer which I immediately opened with my knife (this is a key point in the story) and put it on my belt. I continued around the place until I had a bird’s eye view of the amusement park in the center and tried to take a picture – “Memory Card Full.” Aha! What to do. Wait until tonight and download to my laptop and erase the card? No! Rule # 3! They have stores. So I walk into Ritz Camera and for six bucks they download the memory card to a disc which will be ready in half an hour. So I start walking the circumference of each level. I buy my 997th pair of reading glasses and pick up the disk. Now I want the hell outta there. I walk around the entirefuckingplace and find my car.
I reach in my pocket; and my other pocket; and my other pocket. You’re shitting me! No keys! – You know one thing you can count on is that I will do at least one really stupid thing per trip. – OK, I left them in the camera store. No, wait. The KNIFE. It’s on my keychain. I sat them down when I opened the pedometer package. So I return to the spot. Of course, no keys. Then a miracle! I check at the store and someone has turned them in to mall security. Whoever you are, I love you! I walk for another hour and a half and find the customer service window and there they are!
I left the Mall from Hell having walked 7,000 steps – 3.5 miles! In fact, as I sit here now, I have walked over 10,000 steps today. My highest total ever! And may I say that if you have ever been to a mall and an amusement park, do not go to the Mall of America.
Now I am in Fargo. I have seen many people here, but no sign of Frances McDormond or William H. Macy. In fact the area of town I am in looks like it could be in the suburbs of any large city. Maybe it’s weirder in the winter.
Tomorrow I golf!

1 comment:

Jamie & Christopher said...

We have determined that losing keys is part of the Barcelona genetic make up passed down from generations (or at least from yours) so don't beat yourself up over that one.

It's great to read about your adventures. Who knew that driving 5k miles would be your ticket to Jane Fonda caliber fitness?!?

Keep on blogging (and driving) we'll be ready for a stop through Columbus when we get the new house in just 6 more days!