Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 13 - Johns Hopkins

Well Little Tommy was stolen last night. My car and the one next to it had GPS's in the window and Bang, out went the window and they were gone. My iPod was still in it's compartment -- everything else was there. So I have filed a police report, called AAA and Glass America and did what I needed to to repair the damage. Just one more example of paying your tuition in the school of hard knocks. KN warned me a year ago to take the damn thing out of the window when I parked. But no, I paid him no mind. Oh well while I was taking the rest of my stuff out I found the reading glasses that I thought I lost in South Beach. It is a disquieting feeling to see your new car with a window mashed in. That whole sense of invasion of privacy and destroying your property. But it's fixed, I bought a new TomTom --I'll have to call it Little Tommy Jr.

Everyone at the hotel has been exceedingly nice to me. Maybe they're waiting for me to threaten to sue. Maybe they're just concerned. Although I'm perfectly happy ot say "Shit happens" it did put a pall on my day. Getting hopelessly lost on my way back from buying Little Tommy Jr. didn't cheer me up. How's that for ironic - getting lost after buying a GPS.

I am here to see Dr. Moller at the Sarcoidosis Clinic at Johns Hopkins. It was a good but unsettling visit. In the first sentence he said after the medical history, he explained more to me about what disease I have than anyone ever has. Sarcoidosis is a disease of unknown origin of the immune system which causes the white blood cells to clump into nodules which create inflammation in various locations. It occurs about 90% of the time in the lungs, 10% in the heart and maybe 10% in the nervous system -- I have it (or had it) in my lungs, heart and nervous system. It goes into remission about 50% of the time and it is usually very slow. The nervous system is the most difficult to diagnose and treat. This is the only doctor I have ever seen who told me my case was a no brainer. He's also the first doctor to say that all my problems are without doubt a result of sarcoisosis.

So, what to do? He recommended some complicated PET scans and putting me on a steroid regimen for three months and then immuno-suppressants. The goal is to stabilize or improve the inflammation in my nervous system. It may not sound like much but the idea of stabilizing my symptoms and possible improvement of them was something I had given up hope for. I expected to be told that it will get progressively worse until i die. And worse yet I could see being an invalid in five years; the thought of which just sucks the life out of me. I won't be cured. That's for sure. But as I said a couple of blogs ago, I just busting my ass to maintain my quality of life. So it was a worth while visit. but I have to tell you i am scared shitless of the steroids.

Exploring the inner harbor of Baltimore was not on today's itinerary but it will be tomorrow. I have heard it's very nice. All I've seen so far is blight and ugliness. Although Johns Hopkins was obviously several steps above your normal hospital. The most obvious thing was the support staff. They were nice, responsive, knowledgeable and polite. In fact everyone in this city, except the fucking thieves who broke into my car, has been exceptionally nice. Not like the sourpusses in Florida. Funny thing - the people in the sunny weather are gloomy and the people in the gloomy weather are sunny. So much for my home spun wisdom for the day.

OK. See if you can find 10 or more mistakes (grammar, context, accuracy, whatever) in these lovely directions I received:
Rite Aid: "Exit main parking lot by McDonald's and makes a left. Go to Dundalk Ave. (3rd light) and make a right. go to Holabird (1st light) and make a left. Continue going straight you will pass a Mars super market on your left. You will see salvo auto parts and Herman's Bakery on your left. Turn right at the opening."

I'll give to one of the things that are wrong - they are impossible to follow back to the hotel! That's why I was lost on a fucking hour!

I'll do better tomorrow - promise. Thanks for reading.

"Turn right at the opening." You've got to be shitting me!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

So, this is good news, right? Improving your current quality of life? That sounds good to me!

Sorry to hear about your Tom Tom...it's an awful feeling to discover something has been stolen and vandalized like that...sounds like you're handling it pretty well though!

KPlay said...

Hey Jim -- I had a whole snarky comment worked up about Little Tommy (my father-in-law once gave me this uplifting, but strangely liberating advice, "every single thing that you ever own will be either broken, lost or stolen, so get used to it."), but your doctor info knocked the snark right out of me. Thank you for being so open with us.

You've got an awful lot of folks rooting for you and those 'roids, so do like the doctor orders! And quit comparing Baltimore to Newark. My boys back in Jersey take offense.

KN